Monday, July 7, 2008

This Should Be Easy...Right?



Today, dear readers, yours truly the DCGF has on a very cute black empire-waist dress and - wait for it - turquoise shoes. Now don't get me wrong: I love to add a touch of color via my footwear and accessories. But I've been searching...nay, I've been on a quest to find a great pair of black flats for the summertime with zero success. Am I too picky? Too hard to please? Too hard to fit? I'd like to think that's not the case. I mean, we're talking black flats here, not cerulean stilettos. Although I'm beginning to think the latter might be easier to find!

Let's start with what I have currently. It's the "Willy" style from NaNa and yes, I know these are blue, but mine are black. I love the snub toe and low heel, not to mention the edgy strap detail on the toe and cut-out pattern on the heel.

Problem is, mine are about two years old now and the soles are almost worn through. And the heels are, well
...not in great shape. Plus, the shoes are really more for fall/winter. They don't breathe and are a bit unpleasant in the summertime. I highly recommend the brand, though, overall, especially to gals who are large of foot, like moi. Their flats run about a half size big - woohoo! You can find them at zappos.com or, if you're in the D.C. area, at Shoefly on U Street and in Clarendon.

So with my NaNa's on their last leg (so to speak), I decided to try a new brand from Piper Lime, the online shoe store owned by the Gap, Inc. I was a bit nervous about these OroNero's, because their size 11 was equivalent to a 41, which usually means they'll be too small. But returns are free and found a couple of other pairs I liked, so I threw caution to the wind.

And they're so cute! And way too small. My toes were literally pressing out of the end. But I love the bejeweled strap and stretchy upper, not to mention the fact that they seem like they'd be cushy and comfy for a day of walking. Alas, it's not meant to be. I'm going to be sending them to my sister. If you like them, though, they're still available in black, red, and yellow patent in a variety of sizes for just $49.99.

So now, dear readers, I'm thinking that I might go for the BCBGirls "Almond" style from Nordstrom. They're available in a size 12 and are on sale for $44.90. I like the low heel and pointy toe, for sure. And a patent finish is always great for summertime.

But I'm torn about the rose cutouts. Too girly? Too young? Certainly they'll keep me cool on the hottest of days, but I don't want to look like I just stepped out of a "My Chemical Romance" music video. What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Oh perfect pair of black flats...where are you?!


No comments: