Sunday, July 13, 2008

Stephani Briggs Fine Jewelry



Jewelry Designer and Goldsmith

Based in Portland, Maine, Stephani Briggs makes contemporary jewelry in high karat gold. Most of her pieces are handcrafted using traditional techniques, and often incorporate unique gemstones from around the world. She believes that jewelry should transcend ornamentation, and should stand alone as an object of fine art.



designer necklace

Moonstone Filigree Pendant



gold designer rings

Gold Band Rings



handcrafted pendant

Gold Pendant with Pearl



Stephani's designs are replete with detail and color. There is no substitute for the richness of high karat gold - it gives her jewelry designs an antique, regal quality. The textures she crafts into the metal, particularly in the band rings, are so attractive and unique, and not easily accomplished, I can tell you that.



As a goldsmith, Stephani creates her designs from the rawest of materials, using many different metalsmithing techniques, like stamping, carving, and casting. Anyone who can take a sheet of metal and some wire, and create a lovely and enduring piece of jewelry, is a true artist in my book.



Artist Statement

Creating beautiful objects has become my mission in life. Knowing that someone with a discriminating taste will eventually cherish and care for the work, focuses my attention to the process. When a collector understands a piece, its meaning and inspiration, a connection occurs between artist and appreciator. This is the unique and lively relationship that encourages my evolution as an artist.



My methods of building are very traditional. I fabricate the pieces with metal sheet and wire in high karat gold. Hand tools are used to cut, form, and fuse or solder the jewelry. Patience is critical. There are very few shortcuts and sometimes design changes are intuitively made along the way.



Inspiration is never a problem. Designs begin with drawings and grow from there. Long before I commit to building a piece, I study it aesthetically and technically in drawings - to make sure it will last. Due to the labor-intensive nature of the techniques, I create a limited number of pieces.



I strive for balance in my life, and find sanctuary and inspiration by spending time in the natural world. My home is in Maine and I spend my free time hiking, camping, and biking in the mountains. India has also become a home away from home for me. I travel there annually to study the culture, spend time trekking and buying gems in Jaipur. Wherever I am, I find my place - and what surrounds me inspires me.


For more info, click on the pics!

See full article
.





Related Entries:


Jewelry Career Resources - 08 August 2006


Manak Jewelry Mania - 16 January 2007


Merging Cutting Edge ART With Jewelry- Anada Khalsa Jewelry - 19 May 2007


Jewelry Shopping for You? - 30 May 2007













Contents of this feed are a property of Creative Weblogging Limited and are protected by copyright laws. Violations will be prosecuted. Please email us if you'd like to use this feed for non-commercial activities at feeds - at - creative-weblogging.com.





No comments: