Friday, July 4, 2008

Looping the Shirts



Fasrcopper



No I haven't completely forgotten that couture fashion week is going on but what is my paltry commentary on the shows going to do when so much is being said already so me thinks the less chat the better, especially when not one show has REALLY had me floored. Staying on the Stockholm Fashion Week rag, the one show that everyone kept on harping on about whilst I was there which I didn't get to see was Fifth Avenue Shoe Repair. So after checking out the images, I must say, I think they might have been trying to inject some 'couture' elements into some of their pieces as if to say 'Yeah, we're showing at the same time as couture fashion week but we can do wickedly loopy things too!'. Loopy being the operative word as they took a mass of button down shirts and layered them and made curves to create rather sculptural dresses. These three 'showpieces' were of course interspersed amongst the much more wearable fare that we expect of a nonchalantly cool Swedish brand such as Fifth Avenue Shoe Repair. The finale was a copper sheeted dress that reminded me of the metal sheet dresses in the intro of the film 'Qui ĂȘtes-vous, Polly Maggoo?'. Hope the model didn't suffer any injuries.



Still, despite Fifth Avenue Shoe Repair going out of their way to bring some drama with these pieces, they are at the end of the day made out of quite accessible materials. I've always been attracted to the idea of making something quite extravagant out of low-key materials and the brands that do this well usually get my vote. So here's hoping Fifth Avenue Shoe Repair won't dispose the dresses to the 'showpiece' rail and put these into production for those of us that like their doses of drama subtle and small.



Fasrss09



No comments: