Monday, May 5, 2008

Hello...Good Gry-son



Target strikes again, and this time the bulls eye is on Joy Gryson's handbag line, Gryson.
Like Rafe, and Devi Kroell before, the bags are unmistakable in styling. What they lack in material quality, they make up for in design aesthetic.
As a matter of fact, partnerships like these, do allow someone who is a slave to fashion (or who just knows what they like, even if it is out of their price range) to own a bag that looks like the real thing...with full designer brand sanctioning. No need to even consider counterfeits when the designers are basically knocking themselves off.
Bags like the woven satchel with cut out handle, pictured above, have a typical Gryson color palette, as well as small and large details, like the woven body.
While I haven't seen these up close and personal, I worry that they will suffer the same problems I found with the Devi line, the pleather looks like a $20 bag and no amount of great design or label can fix that. The photos, however, do look very, very nice.

My favorite, of the 5 styles I saw is this drawstring tote. I like the nautical feel of it, and the fabric looks to be a rip stop nylon (which is regaining popularity, even at the high end) which I think looks much nicer than the vinyl tends to. The crisp white piping, and signature woven handle make the bag a stand out.
The other styles, which can be seen closer up here include a full range of styles. There is definitely a choice for everyone.
They include a large tote, a small cross body pouch (I love this style too, just not the material) and an East/West satchel which is in the same fabric as the drawstring tote.
The price point hits the higher end for target bags, topping out at $49.99 (I don't think I'm alone in wishing they'd raise the price and improve the materials...I'd gladly pay 2-3 times as much for a better crafted bag).
The Gryson for Target line debuts on April 6th, and like other target capsule collections, will be available only for about 6 weeks.

No comments: